Friday, April 10, 2015

Taper time and how this training cycle went

Hi friends!
The Boston Marathon is less than 2 weeks away. I really am shocked at how fast this training cycle has gone so far. I feel like I just started training! However, I am really amazed at the training I put in and I am proud of what I have accomplished. Now we will just have to see what this training has done on race day!

In hindsight I wish I would have documented my training more often on this blog. It would have been fun to look back and see how I was feeling during the training. Between family, training, and work it just seemed that the blog got pushed on the back burner. Marathon training involves a big time commitment and I chose to spend my extra time focusing on other priorities.

Overall training went well. I am happy to say that I have been injury free and feel ready to race. My training over the past 14+ weeks has looked like this:
Monday: REST DAY
Tuesday: Speed work, usually intervals of various lengths
Wednesday:Middle long run (10-13 miles)
Thursday: Marathon Pace workout
Friday: Easy run
Saturday: Easy run
Sunday: Long run
Favorite spot on one of my running routes

The one thing I am grateful for is having a husband who is supportive of this dream of mine. There were many days that he watched the kids so I could run 3+ hours. He's pretty awesome!

Secondly, I am thankful to my parents. There were many mornings that my parents took time out of their day to help watch the kiddos so I could get some miles outside. It would have meant A LOT more treadmill miles without them.

Thirdly, I am thankful for an awesome running partner. It sure made the long runs easier! I don't know if I am going to be able to do long runs alone again! Plus, it was great to have someone else doing the same training. I definitely felt motivated to run on days I didn't want to run because I knew she was out their running her butt off too.

Lastly, I am thankful for the God given ability to be able to run and run fast. I feel blessed to have running in my life, it has helped me to realize I am capable of what I set my mind to. Sometimes it involves a lot of hard work, but when I am able to go out an pursue a dream it makes it worth it. Happiness really is found in the pursuit of a dream. Boston has been a dream of mine since I was running cross country in high school. Wat before I ever had run a marathon I knew I wanted to run Boston some day. I am giddy with excitement!


I am so excited to hit the streets of Boston and run the race I have been dreaming about.

No comments:

Post a Comment