Friday, March 28, 2014

And just like that it's the end of March

Wow, this month has flown by! I thought that a training update was in order. I have been enjoying some warmer temperatures and have had some really great runs outside. I actually had one run two weeks ago where it was 50 degrees. I was so excited to go out and run that day wear just Capri tights and a long sleeve running top that my first mile of a 4 mile easy run was 6:58. Oops, not really easy running. I must say though that I feel that the winter running I have done has paid off. When I am outside I am able to hit paces in the sub 8 minute mile and they feel easy.
I had my first 16 mile run outside and it felt great! It was a very hilly course and my legs felt trashed after, but I know that the run helped build strength. I really feel like I am truly in marathon training.

March definitely has been great with the warmer temperatures. I was finally able to get outside to do a marathon pace workout and I was able to hit my paces. Because most of my running is done in the early morning, it is usually dark when I run outside. I have found a route that is near the gym I belong to that is sidewalks and is lit with street lamps. The first one I did was great I was able to hit the paces I needed to. I average between a 7:30 min/mile pace and a 7:40. To run a 3:20 marathon my mile pace needs to be 7:38. I felt really confident after the first workout. The second time I did this workout did not goes as well. The temperatures had cooled overnight and there were patches of ice (I bet you know where this is going). One minute I was running an feeling great and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I ended up with a large bruise and hematoma on my left hip and some scraps on my face. Lovely.

I will say that the fall has made me more cautious. I decided not to run outside in the early morning if there is ice. I also am being more diligent about proper recovery. I have started taking ice baths after long runs. I also have been icing things like a pro, stretching, taking my vitamins, and making sure to take it easy if I need to on the easy run days. I have to remind myself that the important thing is making it to the start line healthy, fit and ready to run a PR.
Miles this week:
 Monday: 3.75 miles on treadmill (had pain so cut this 5 miler short)
Tuesday: 1 mile on track at the gym and 7 miles of hills on the treadmill. I varied the incline from 1.0 to 6.0
Wednesday: 5.06 miles easy on the treadmill
Thursday: Yoga (I need to do this weekly)
Friday : 8.39 miles in 65 minutes (marathon pace workout) My legs were heavy in the beginning, but felt strong mid way through.
Plans for this weekend:
Saturday : 18 miles (so excited! I love long runs)
 Sunday: 5 easy miles or cross training.
Have a great week everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment