Friday, March 7, 2014

Marathon training is on!

Hi! I realize now that it has been a while since I have posted anything. Many times I thought, "I am going to write a post tomorrow," which turned into a week, and then another week. Then, all of a sudden almost a month has gone by without a post. My apologies for keeping you in such suspense!

So, here is an update: marathon training is in full swing! I started training the second week of February for the Minneapolis Marathon on June 1st. It feels really good to have a structured plan to follow. I like having a plan to follow rather than making it up as I go along. It takes away some of the mental energy trying to decide what I should do for that day of running. My mind enjoys the break. My plan consists of 3 days of easy running, one day of hill work (to build strength), on day of marathon pace running, one long run, and a rest day. Yes, I said rest day and I am actually taking a day of rest on the day. I broke my running streak, which I promise to tell you about in a future post.

Training so far has been great. The negative temps have made getting outdoors for a run a challenge at times.
It was -6 degrees out this day!



The blizzards have been challenging as well.
A car that was stuck when I was out running (don't worry I did flag down a plow truck to help them out)

What it looks like to run after you get 10+ inches of snow
I have to say I am very thankful for a home treadmill and a gym membership. I have worried that running on the treadmill isn't as effective as running outside. I mean, I don't race on a treadmill after all. However, I have come to the conclusion that I am in the beginning of my training and slipping on the ice an injuring myself is not worth it. Warmer weather is coming!

How is this winter treating you?

Best winter running tip?

No comments:

Post a Comment