Thursday, November 21, 2013

Day 365

Thursday's workout: 10 miles completed in 81 minutes

Today was my 365th day of running at least 1 mile everyday. This time last Thanksgiving I did the Runner's World Running Streak. The premise is that you pledge to run at least 1 mile per day from Thanksgiving until New Year's. I decided to do it for a few reasons, 1) I wanted to get in shape after having baby #4 (yes, I have 4 beautiful children). 2) I knew that if I really wanted to get in shape I needed to be consistent. I knew even on my busiest day I had 8 minutes that I could get a mile in. 3) I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. So it began as a way to get in shape but it turned into so much more. Once New Year's hit, I was talking about goals and resolutions with my husband. I was debating if I should keep going with it or not.  He said "you should totally go for it". I am so thankful for his support and so thankful that I did go for it. If  you know me you know that I am kind of a "go with the flow" and I'll figure it out along the way kind of girl. Through these past 365 days I have learned that I can be disciplined! Because of this discipline, my passion for running has been reignited. I ran cross country in high school and college, and I wish I had had the drive and fire that I have now to compete and push myself. However, I don't want to focus on the past. I look forward to seeing what I can do from here on out!

Another bonus was that I am now in the best shape of my life and it's only going to get better. I am super excited about how my body has transformed this past year. It went from a thin, slightly soft body to a toned and fit body. I love that people are always surprised that I have had 4 kids!

Lastly, a bonus that has come from all this is learning that my husband has my back no matter what. He is my biggest support in this. On the days that I didn't want to run because we got home late and it was 1 AM, he would say "You know you will be mad at yourself if you don't." He won't let me be weak, and I am so thankful for that. He pushes me to better. He's pretty great.

A photo from my 10 mile run today
So what's next? I have decided to keep it going at least through the end of the year. After that I will decide if another year of run streaking is in the cards.

Anyone ever done a running streak? How long was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment