Thursday, November 28, 2013

It's turkey day! Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all got to spend it with people you love. I got up bright (well, not bright since it was still dark out) and early to the gym at 5am. I was not the only one there either. It makes me happy that their are other people who want to get their endorphins right away in the morning like I do.

I decided that I wanted to get 6 miles in and decided that I was going to do some speed work on the treadmill. I did 6xYasso's 800s. What are Yasso's 800s? For a detailed explanation click here. Essentially you take what time you want to run at marathon in, for example I want to do a 3:20 in my next marathon, and run 800m in that amount of time in minutes. So, I did 800m in 3 minutes and 20 seconds and did 6 of them with a half mile recovery run in between. The whole workout was about 6 miles. Let me tell you it was tough when I was doing them, and I wondered if  I was going to do all of them. I am happy to say I powered through and felt so strong when I was done! Happy dance! I think I earned a my Thanksgiving dinner today.
my workout today
 On that note, I read an article in the latest issue of Runner's World Magazine. It did a break down of how many miles you have to run to work off an average thanksgiving meal. Essentially, you have to run 12.8 miles to equal the calories of a plate! Maybe instead of all the 10k and 5k runs at Thanksgiving they need to have more half marathons, just a thought.

Happy Running!

Did you do a Thanksgiving race?

What's your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment