Monday, November 25, 2013

Weekend Workout Recap!

Hi! I hope anyone reading this had a great weekend. I was happy to get some great workouts in this weekend. Here they are:
Friday: Hit up the gym for some cross training. 2 miles on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the elliptical, and 20 minutes on the stationary bike. Felt good to be doing something besides running
Saturday: The plan was to get up at 6ish AM and run outside. However, the temp was 8 degrees. So I went to the gym at 6:30 AM and did a hill workout on the treadmill. 50 minutes, alternated 2 minutes at a 5% incline with 3 minutes at 1%. I usually set the treadmill at a 1% incline all the time to increase the resistance so it is mote like running on the road. This ended up being 6.1 miles.
Sunday: Braved the cold for a 5 mile run outside. VERY WINDY! the first 2 miles were right into the wind. I felt like I could have leaned into the wind and it would hold me up. Did this at a 7:53min/mile. Legs felt really good, lungs were breathing a bit heavy. Not sure if it is the cold weather that my lungs are getting used to or if my effort was harder than I thought. I will definitely be keeping tabs on this.

Because a certain friend of my was teasing me about chickening out on Saturday and going to the gym instead of going outside(she had run 6.5 miles outside, she rocks!). It totally was a gut check. I knew I was making excuses to not go outside. In my defense, it was cold and dark outside. Also, I did get a killer workout on the treadmill. All those things are good excuses, but making excuses is not going to get me to where I want to be. I had wanted to do 10 miles with 4 miles at marathon pace. This may have been an ambitious workout but I wanted to see where I was at pace wise. I know the weather is outside of my control and I know there will be days where I won't get the exact workout I want in. However, I do know I need to do the important workouts outside if possible because I won't be racing on the treadmill.
 photo credit goes to The POLAR DASH Facebook page


I am glad that I did get myself outside on sunday for a run. I realized I actually enjoyed it! I do need to invest in some more winter gear, reflective gear, and a head lamp/light.
Well, until the next post!
What winter gear can you not live without?

No comments:

Post a Comment